Change Your Status to “Citizen”

This is very important because most employers and government agencies use your SSN to verify your citizenship.  You change your status on government records by getting a new Social Security Card.  (Your number won’t change.) 

You will need to go to a Social Security office to make the change.  The Tucson offices do not take appointments. They are walk-in only.   You may see outdated information on the internet saying you need an appointment, but this is incorrect. 

Wait at least 10 days after you naturalization ceremony.  Then bring your Certificate of Naturalization and your Driver License or State ID to apply for a new card.  You will receive a new card in the mail.  

3808 N 1st Street
South Tucson
88 W 35th Street
Monday – Friday
8am – 4pm

Update your Driver License or State ID 

You will be changing your status on Arizona state records to “citizen.”  Go into the Department of Motor Vehicles to make the change.  Bring your Certificate of Naturalization and your current Driver License/State ID.  You will fill out the standard application for a new license. 

Updating your license is recommended but not required.  You can wait until the next time you need to renew your license.  But there are good reasons to do it now. 

  • All your state records will be consistent and up-to-date.
  • You can register to vote at the same time using the same form.
  • You will be eligible to use the online voter website.
Tucson East
1360 S. Stocker
Tucson North
7330 N. Shannon
Tucson Regional
3563 S. Broadmont

Monday – Friday
7:30 am – 4:45 pm

EXCEPT offices open at noon on the second Wednesday of every month

Register to Vote

There are several ways a new citizen can register to vote in Arizona.  You can…

Register By Mail
Fill out a one-page Voter Registration Form

Attach a legible copy of your Certificate of Naturalization
Mail the form to:
Pima County Recorder
PO Box 3145
Tucson, AZ 85702-3145
Register In Person
Bring your Certificate of Naturalization and Driver License or State ID to the office of the Pima County Recorder

You will fill out a one-page form
That’s it!
Pima County Recorders Office
240 N Stone Ave
Tucson, AZ 85701
(Do not mail to this address)
Register Online
You can register online after you have updated the citizenship status of your Social Security Card AND Driver License or State ID
Then you can register online at This is a website managed by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
Register at the DMV
You can register to vote and update your Driver License or State ID at the same time.

Just scroll up to our section on Updating Your Driver License/State ID to learn how.